CREDENTIALS & PUBLICATIONS
Arbitrator, Mediator & Educator
160 Abrahams Lane
Villanova, Pennsylvania 19805E-mail: [email protected]
Ph.D., M.S.; B.S., summa cum laude
Arbitrator and Mediator, 1977 – present. In private practice as a labor-management and employment arbitrator with a strong client base in both the private and public sectors. Has adjudicated a broad range of labor disputes in such industries as printing, trucking, transportation, pharmaceutical, steel, casino, chemical, paper, broadcasting, manufacturing, mining, communications, petroleum, hotel, utilities, railroad, and professional sports. Has worked in all areas of public employment. Currently serves as permanent umpire under national collective bargaining agreements between:
- National Broadcasting Co. and NABET-CWA
- ABC, Inc. and NABET-CWA
- The Boeing Company and United Automobile Workers
- Volvo North America and United Automobile Workers
- Pratt and Whitney & International Assn. of Machinists & Aerospace Workers
- Verizon (New Jersey) & International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Pepsi Cola Company and International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 125
- United Airlines and Association of Flights Attendants
- UTC Aerospace, Inc. & I.A.M.A.W.
- General Electric Co. and International Union of Electrical Workers
- AK Steel Corporation and I.A.M.A.W.
- State of Connecticut and Connecticut State Police Union
- State of Connecticut and AFSCME, Council 4
- National Hockey League and NHL Players Association (2000-2005)
Employment Arbitrator and Mediator. Is actively involved in mediation and arbitration of employment disputes in the non-union sector. Has handled cases involving statutory issues, wrongful termination, and breach of contract. Member, AAA National Panel of Employment Arbitrators. Co-Founder and Principal, Dispute Resolution Services, which conducts fact-finding investigations and provides mediation services in disputes involving both statutory and contractual claims. Serves as permanent arbitrator under the ADR Procedure adopted by Kraft Foods.
Member, Federal Reserve System Labor Relations Panel, 1991 – present. By appointment of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, serves on a three-member panel that adjudicates unfair practice complaints and other employment claims that are filed against the individual Federal Reserve Banks or the Board.
Professor – Industrial Relations & Human Resources Department, Institute of Management and Labor Relations, Rutgers University. 1976 – 1990. As a tenured professor, between 1976 and 1990, taught graduate courses and conducted research in labor and employment law, dispute settlement and human resource management. Adjunct Professor, Institute of Management and Labor Relations, Management Development Center, Rutgers University. Since 1990, on a part-time basis, teaches graduate courses and non-credit seminars in labor and employment law and industrial relations.
Director of the Graduate Program – Industrial Relations and Human Resources, 1983 – 1987. Was responsible for the operation and staffing of the Rutgers Master of Science degree program in Industrial Relations and Human Resources.
Special Hearing Officer, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Employment Relations Panel (neutral agency charged with enforcing the Port Authority Labor Relations Instruction). 1976 – 1980. Served as hearing officer in formal proceedings involving unfair labor practices, scope of bargaining, and unit determinations.
Trial Examiner and Executive Assistant to the Chairman, New York City Office of Collective Bargaining, New York, New York (impartial government labor relations agency), 1973 – 1976. Served as hearing officer in proceedings involving unfair labor practices, arbitrability, scope of bargaining, and representation. Conducted informal meetings among parties to resolve disputes. Assisted Chairman Arvid Anderson in all aspects of the agency’s operations. Researched and wrote reports, recommendations, and speeches on legal issues, legislative bills, and O.C.B. policy matters.
Special Labor Relations Consultant to the Governor of the United States Virgin Islands, 1975 – 1976 (on partial leave from the O.C.B.) Advised Virgin Islands’ government on the conduct of public sector labor relations. Represented several government departments in collective negotiations. Trained supervisory employees in human resource management.
Adjunct Professor of Labor-Management Relations, 1973 – 1976. Graduate School of Public Administration, New York University. N.Y.S. School of Industrial and Labor Relations, Cornell University. (NYC Credit Program). Taught basic and advanced courses in private and public sector labor law and conflict resolution.
- Member, National Academy of Arbitrators
- Senior Fellow, International Academy of Mediators
- Member, National Association of Railroad Referees
- Member, Labor and Employment Relations Association
- Vice Chair, Labor Management Task Force, American Arbitration Association
- Member, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Member Executive Committee and Board of Directors, Anti-Defamation League (PA)
- Member, Board of Governors, Erivan Haub School of Business, St. Joseph’s University
- Member, Alumni Advisory Council, ILR School, Cornell University
- Member, University Council, Cornell University
- Member, Board of Directors, American Arbitration Association, 1998-2004.
- Vice President Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia (1986-2010)
NEUTRAL PANEL AFFILIATIONS
- National Labor Panel, American Arbitration Association
- Commercial Arbitration Panel, American Arbitration Association
- Employment Arbitration Panel, American Arbitration Association
- National Mediation Panel, American Arbitration Association
- Arbitration and Mediation Panels, NJ Public Employment Relations Commission
- Arbitration Panel, National Mediation Board
- Arbitration Panel, Pennsylvania Bureau of Mediation
- “Thorny Issues in Employment Arbitration: Managing Difficult Attorneys and Pro Se Litigants,” AAA Employment Roundtable, American Arbitration Association, Philadelphia, PA June 8, 2018.
- “Effective Advocacy in the Preparation and Presentation of a Case in Arbitration,” Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, 39th Arbitration Symposium, Atlantic City, NJ, May 18, 2018.
- “Understanding Last Chance Agreements,” Labor Arbitration Institute, Miami Beach, FL, February 12, 2018.
- “Negotiation and Mediation,” Superstars of Litigation, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Philadelphia, PA, August 9, 2017.
- “Mediation and ADR,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA August 28, 2015.
- “Ask the Arbitrator,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA December 5, 2014.
- “Everything You Wanted to Know About Labor Arbitration,” Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, 35th Arbitration Symposium, Atlantic City, NJ, May 9, 2014.
- “The Arbitration of Statutory Claims,” 20th Annual Employment Law Institute, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, PA, April 25, 2014.
- “Evolving Attitudes Toward Workplace Offenses,” Annual Meeting, National Association of Railroad Referees, Chicago, IL, September 18, 2014.
Articles, Monographs, and Book Chapters
- “What Does It Mean to be Impartial?” New Jersey Labor and Employment Law Quarterly, New Jersey State Bar Association, Vol. 37, No. 1, October 2015.
- The Art and Science of Labor Arbitration: The History, The Process, The Challenges, with Martin H. Malin, I.B. Helburn, and Bernard Dobranski, The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers and The National Academy of Arbitrators Research and Education Foundation, 2014.
- City Workers and Fiscal Crisis: Cutbacks, Giveback and Survival (A Study of the New York City Experience), Institute of Management and Labor Relations, Rutgers University, 1979.
- The Scope of Bargaining in Public Employment, Praeger, Inc., 1975.